This video answers the question: Can I conduct a comprehensive analysis and review of Dependent Personality Disorder?
Dependent Personality Disorder:
- Cluster C personality disorder (anxious, fearful) along with Avoidant & OCPD
Eight symptom criteria, five must be met for a diagnosis to be given
- Has difficulty making everyday decisions without an excessive amount of advice and reassurance from others.
- Needs others to assume responsibility for most major areas of their life.
- Has difficulty expressing disagreement with others because of fear of loss of support or approval.
- Has difficulty initiating projects or doing things on their own (because of a lack of self confidence rather than a lack of motivation)
- Goes to excessive lengths to obtain nurturance and support from others, to the point of volunteering to do things that are unpleasant.
- Feels uncomfortable or helpless when alone because of exaggerated fears of being unable to care for themselves.
- Urgently seeks another relationship as a source of care and support when a close relationship ends.
- Is unrealistically preoccupied with fears of being left to take care of themselves
Disney, K. L. (2013). Dependent personality disorder: A critical review. Clinical Psychology Review, 33(8), 1184–1196.
Furnham, A. (2018). A Big …