Ronnie Mitra - CA Technologies. Nordic APIs World Tour 2015: May 11 - Copenhagen. There has been a move toward simpler products and simpler interface designs. Ronnie Mitra, an expert in developer experience and API design, advocates for smartly designed software and APIs that retain simplicity but also cater to complex requirements. This talk specifically covers:
- What does complexity mean in the domain of APIs?
- Philosophies on simplicity and complexity from notable theorists on product design
- System vs. interface complexity
- Complex adaptive systems and agent structures, with real world examples
- Interface complexity, cognitive complexity, and their relation to design
- An API designer’s role in managing complexity to reduce confusion.
- Balancing the simple and the complex in product design, and how that translates into software and APIs
- Differentiating essential complexity and accidental complexity:
- Managing complexity within OAuth flows, microservices, and API consumption
- How complexity surfaces throughout the API product Lifecycle
This presentation was referenced in a blog post on the Nordic APIs blog. Read "Balancing Complexity and Simplicity in API Design" here: http://nordicapis.com/balancing-complexity-and-simplicity-in-api-design