As two communities who are both stereotyped as "model minorities”, American Jews and Asian Americans should be uniquely positioned for mutual understanding and solidarity. However, as is common for Jews of Color, many Asian American Jews experience feeling excluded, tokenized, or fetishized in Jewish communities. In this episode, Jewish Asian Americans share our experiences with racism, antisemitism, and the model minority myth, in hopes of inspiring a much-needed broader dialogue about inclusion in the Jewish community and beyond.
Trigger warnings for this video include racism, antisemitism, and violence.
How to show support and solidarity:
1. recognize and report instances of anti-Asian hate or antisemitic hate when you witness them
2. continue to educate yourself and raise awareness in your network about these forms of hatred
3. amplify the voices of Asian American and Jewish scholars, creators, and activists discussing these issues
4. if this is accessible to you, join a local effort to escort Asian elders or volunteer in a citizen-run community safety initiative
5. if this is financially accessible to you, donate your financial resources to organizations providing direct services, including public health resources, financial assistance, etc. to Asian elders
6. when those around you express hat…
Original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuo6t21RXY0
Downloaded by http://huffduff-video.snarfed.org/ on Thu Mar 18 05:23:06 2021
Available for 30 days after download