Few Clash podcast artists could follow-up a Mariah Carey re-edit with a classic Aphex Twin track and get away with it unscathed. Chad Valley is one such artist.
Admittedly the Carey edit is Chad Valley’s own, and gives the saccharine diva’s tune a pleasing new hazy tranquillity – an atmosphere also present throughout much of his own work, which explores dreamy, irresistible synth-pop landscapes, gloriousl coated in nostalgia and reverb.
Part of the Blessing Force collective – a group of musicians, artists and writers from Oxford, including Trophy Wife and Rhosyn – Manuel provides a heartfelt take on r’n’b and soul (both classic and contemporary) for his Clash mix, adding some gentle electronics and giving away only the slightest of tongue-in-cheek grins.
His selection features new-wave funk from Studio, a blast of scratchy hip hop via Quasimoto’s ‘Loop Digga’ edit, the beautiful, melodic ‘Candy Shoppe’ from US psych/ambient act Emeralds, and finishes with a dose of thoroughly contemporary electronic soul from two recent SBTRKT collaborators, Jessie Ware and Sampha.
Chad Valley’s latest EP, ‘Equatorial Ultravox’, is out now on Maman Records.
Chad Valley DJ Mix Tracklisting
1. Frank Ocean - Swim Good
2. The-Dream feat. Mariah Carey - My Love (Chad Valley Dream Edit)
3. Aphex Twin - We Are The Music Makers
4. Studio - Self Service
5. Evelyn King - Love Come Down
6. Quasimoto - Return of the Loop Digga (Edit)
7. The Tough Alliance - New Chance
8. Advance - Take me to the Top
9. Francis and the Lights - Darling, It’s Alright
10. Emeralds - Candy Shoppe
11. Jessie Ware and Sampha - Valentine