When Specialized launched its 2018 line last month, there was plenty to get excited about. But eyebrows were raised in surprise when Specialized announced it was stripping away gender from its geometries.
Ben Ubois, the creator of Feedbin (a simple, good-looking online RSS reader) joined the show to talk about the indie web and developers, how RSS usage has changed over the years – particularly since Google Reader shutdown. We also talked about RSS vs the social web that we're in now and the idea of an RSS resurgence and taking back control over the content we choose to subscribe to.
The Talk Show
‘Like a Butt Crack’, With Christa Mrgan
Tuesday, 25 November 2014
Special guest Christa Mrgan joins the show to talk about Yosemite UI design, Apple TV’s aesthetics (and its shitty IR remote control), Apple Watch speculation (including using it as an Apple TV remote), the Watch’s new San Francisco font, bling in icon design, and more. It’s a Thanksgiving week design-focused spectacular.
lynda.com: Online video training and tutorials. Use this link for a 7-day free trial.
Hover: The world’s best domain registrar. Use coupon code “vodka” and save 10 percent on any order.
Igloo: The intranet you’ll actually like.
Christa Mrgan on Twitter.
Rogue Amoeba software (and Piezo in particular).
Super Bowl 50.
Robert Mueller, Co-Founder of FastMail, talks with us about growing the company since 1999 and surviving the first dot com bust. During this 15-year journey they were acquired, but subsequently bought the company back a few years later and are now wholly owned by the staff. He also shares his initial fears and realities of taking the leap into founding a startup, especially during those early days.
Very special guest Merlin Mann returns to the show to talk about Comcast customer service, cable-cutting, Marlins Man (no relation) and his showboating-spectator predecessors, and the state of podcasting today. Also: daylight saving time and Roman numerals.
TOPIC: Is there anything else you want to tell me?
This week, Dan and Merlin discuss what bathrooms can teach us about learning, expertise, and empathy.
- Showbot status and pull requests
- Older phones still being bought today, like the iPhone 4S
- Long-term device limitations and upgradeability, RAM, spinning disks, and Mac/iOS purchasing strategies
- Vindictive but self-defeating defections
- Screen size, small hands, and pants/trousers/jeans/khakis/whatevertheyrecalled.
- Silver Screen Queens Podcast
- CGP Grey
- 4K Plasma TVs, as pointed out by Awax, which lists for $500K
- Overcast has shipped!
- Planning for server load and timing a release in the App Store
- Why require user accounts, and why not iCloud?
- Why freemium?
- What took so long? Why no streaming? Why does that even matter?
- IRL Talk
- ARM SIMD Extensions
- Features users will hopefully appreciate
- Linking to other independent podcast apps
- Some serious dedication on Hacker News
- Posted after we recorded: Castro's response
- Podcast directory design motivations
- Possible web-hosting on an A7-based Apple TV like at Mac Mini Vault
- John gets Hypercritical about Overcast
- Electric Shadow
- Back to Work
Special guest Glenn Fleishman joins John Gruber to discuss Bitcoin — how it works, the problems it solves, where it's going, and more. Also, Apple's "goto fail" security bug, and some Jeopardy and Blackjack game theory.
Page 1 of 9Older