Anna and Andy talk about Anna’s new limited company, why she needed to set up a company and how she went about doing it. Andy moans about not understanding GitHub (again) and why developer tools often make him feel stupid. After hours, they talk about an episode of Anna’s favourite cartoon, Adventure Time.
Tagged with “web” (10)
Skype wasn’t kind to us this week so sincere apologies for the sound quality. We are instigating new audio fiedlity procedure moving forward! This week we discuss Teux Deux moving to a payment model, the demise of Google Reader, startup media icons and Kieran manages to top all previous "and finally" items.
Andy Clarke and Anna Debenham have Unfinished Business
In this episode, getting paid. Andy and Anna talk about deposits and down-payments, getting paid regularly and what you can do if the unthinkable happens and you have to fight for your money.
Our guests for our fourth episode are Chris Coyier and Dave Rupert, the hosts of the popular web design podcast Shoptalk. Chris is well known for his prolific posts and screencasts at CSS-Tricks.com. He’s a designer for Wufoo.com, speaker on all things web.
Dave Rupert is the lead developer for Paravel, a web design and branding agency located in Austin, Texas.
In episode three of Using Blue we talk with Jeremy Keith of Clearleft about how HTML5 snuck up on him, responsive web design, catch phrases and catch phrases.
We head down a great path of discussion with Jeremy while we talk about:
- Buzz words in the industry.
- How maybe UX and design are really the same thing.
- Brian Rieger and his work on yiibu.com
- How content management systems need to structure their content.
- Responsive web design as the most exciting thing to hit the web, maybe ever.
- Is Drupal a CMS or is it a framework?
- How naming conventions in Drupal can cause confusion.
- Who is Drupal really going after as their target audience.
- The concept of Drupal distributions.
- Native apps vs the mobile web with progressive enhancements. Jason Grigsby has a good post on how you can’t link to an app and the issues with that.
- The mobile first approach that Luke Wroblewski writes and talks about and we love.
- Getting into the browser as fast as possible. Essentially designing in the browser whenever possible.
- Style tiles as an excellent communication tool in the design process.
- The upcoming dConstruct conference. An excellent conference in Brighton, UK on September 2, 2011.
- Also the Brighton Digital Festival.
On this week’s show: Jim Coudal shares his thoughts on monetizing creativity, Marcus talks about questioning clients and Paul gets excited about eye candy.
Dan Benjamin talks with Jim Coudal about independence, the web, being an entrepreneur, the golden touch, Kubrick, and more.
John Gruber (Daring Fireball) and Jim Coudal (The Deck Ad Network & Coudal.com) gave a great talk at South by Southwest 2010 titled “Online Advertising: Losing the Race to the Bottom” in which they spoke about what methods they have used to generate income from their online efforts.
EPISODE NOTES Jeffrey Zeldman and Dan Benjamin are joined by Jason Santa Maria and discuss mitigating the isolation of working in your underwear by reaching out to the community, avenues for creativity, struggling with the line between good enough and perfection, focus, why speaking and teaching are important, and why sometimes the distraction of working with other people is worth it. EPISODE LINKS Jason Santa Maria Jason Santa Maria (jasonsantamaria) on Twitter Dribbble – Jason Santa Maria Mighty, a Design Studio Typekit Typedia: A Shared Encyclopedia of Typefaces AIGA/NY A List Apart Happy Cog What deux yeux have teux deux teuxday?
The SFFaudio Podcast #083 – Jesse talks with Jeremy Keith of Huffduffer.com about his website. Huffduffer can turn any MP3 file on the web into a podcast! Huffduffer lets you make your own curated podcasts and share them with the world.