Helm, the longtime drummer of The Band who backed Bob Dylan and sang with Van Morrison, died Thursday. He was 71. Fresh Air remembers Helm with excerpts from his two appearances on the show in 1993 and 2007.
Tagged with “band” (4)
- Pretty In Pink by The Psychedelic Furs
- Kiss Me On The Bus by The Replacements
- You Get Me by The Broken Family Band
- All Her Favorite Fruit by Camper Van Beethoven
- Bachelor Kisses by The Go-Betweens
- Slow Show by The National
- Let Me Lie To You by Afghan Whigs
The feature is taken from one of The American Life’s Classified specials, where all of the content from the show is harvested from one day’s classified ads in the local Chicago papers. Here Jon Langford of The Mekons puts together a band of never met before musicians for a rendition of a classic tune.
There are lots of things I really like about this clip: the narrator’s amazing Dawson’s-Creek-meets-Juno delivery, the theremin player that likes to amaze people and then spurn their fawning adoration, but the cherry on top is reserved for the violin player who is in anger management. Have a listen.
Serena Ryder covers the Band Of Horses song.