By The National from the album High Violet, as discussed in this New York Times article:
Tagged with “music:artist=the national” (10)
From High Violet by The National.
It’s scrappy and I make a few mistakes but I really like this song that I’ve just learned. It was one of the singles from High Violet by The National, my favourite album of last year.
“Are you trying to make me cry?” she asked. Probably. But things get away from me after this much one-track repeat. Where have you been?
- Pretty in Pink by Psychedelic Furs covered by The National
- Fuzzy by Grant Lee Buffalo covered by Hazeldine
- This Corrosion by Sisters of Mercy covered by Lambchop
- Vapour Trail by Ride covered by Trespassers William
- New Dawn Fades by Joy Division covered by Salter Cane
- Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths covered by The Lancaster Orchestra
- Pretty In Pink by The Psychedelic Furs
- Kiss Me On The Bus by The Replacements
- You Get Me by The Broken Family Band
- All Her Favorite Fruit by Camper Van Beethoven
- Bachelor Kisses by The Go-Betweens
- Slow Show by The National
- Let Me Lie To You by Afghan Whigs
Back in June, when we asked All Songs Considered listeners to pick the year’s best music (so far), the Gorillaz album Plastic Beach was the overwhelming favorite. But that was still a couple of months before Arcade Fire released its third full-length, The Suburbs. With it in the year-end mix, no other album or artist could compete. All Songs Considered listeners cast tens of thousands of votes, and The Suburbs was light years ahead of everything else to become the year’s top vote-getter.
This is our favorite time of year at NPR Music. We love to look back at all the great music that came out and debate which albums and songs are better than others. But more than the debate, all of this year-end coverage gives us a chance to rediscover albums we’d forgotten about, or find new songs and artists we may have missed altogether.
On this edition of the program, host Bob Boilen and producer Robin Hilton count down the Top 25 listener picks for 2010 and share some thoughts on the year in music.
The opening track from their forthcoming album High Violet.
Another track of the forthcoming ‘High Violet’ album. “With my kids on my shoulders I try not to hurt anybody out loud / But I don’t have the drugs to sort it out.”
Really excited about the new National LP out in May (‘High Violet’), here’s a sample track…